5.19.2008

T minus 8 days until Daycare....


Mel took a trip to the doctor today.... She has been doing great, and there are no "big" problems - but since she's starting daycare next Tuesday, and is eating THIRTEEN times a day, I wanted to see what we might be able to do to regulate her before going to daycare. Also, her stomach is still rumbling a little bit every once in a while - nothing like before, but she still does get fussy with it.

Our daycare has assured me that they will feed her any time she's hungry... but I'm a little worried about the formula situation...I prepare the bottles to take in with her. So, if I make a few 3 or 4-ounce bottles, and then she only eats 1 or 2 ounces, they have to pitch the rest. At the rate she's eating now, I'm considering sending a whole bunch of 1 or 2 ounce bottles, and they can just feed her until she gets full :)

So, the doctor was a little concerned about her weight gain. We were in one month ago, and Mel weighed 9 pounds. Today, one month later, she weighs 9 pounds, 9 ounces. He said with that kind of weight gain, he would look at three things - first, is she getting enough to eat? So, he got his calculator out and computed the amount she's eating (23 ounces a day) with her weight - and she's doing great on that front. Second, is she "getting rid" of too much? No. I don't need to go into details there! Third, is there something medical we need to look at? He said we can rule out a heart murmur, but that he may look at GI issues (which her daddy has), or thyroid issues (which her mommy has). So.... she's starting a prescription today, to see if it will help with the potential GI issues. We go back in a week to monitor her weight, and see where we are. Also, I'm supposed to only feed her every three hours, even if she seems hungry every hour like she has for the last week. We may be driving around a LOT in order to keep my sanity as we make that transition!!

The doc also said Melanie was one of the happiest babies he's seen in a while!!

1 comment:

Carolyn Haack said...

The first day is VERY hard but you can do it. After a few days it is so much easier. The ladies at daycare are great and deal with babies all the time. They will get to know Mel and love her very soon. Sadie even reaches for Ms. Doris now. then they sing the morning song. :)